Friday, November 16, 2007

Hawk in The Tree



This morning one of the squirrels that frequents our feeder was sitting on the feeder and chattering away. There was food in the feeder and I could not figure out why the squirrel was chattering. Then I looked in the tree next door and saw this hawk sitting there. I guess the squirrel was afraid of being the hawks breakfast.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, I have been doing research on the bird in the picture. I first thought if might be a Peregrine Falcon. But is seems to be a very young Merlin Falcon (Falco Columbarius). It is also known as a Piegon Hawk. I don't believe I have ever seen one before. Those are great photos of the bird. I'll send you an email link to a web site on the bird.

9:40 PM

 
Blogger ks1k said...

Mr Ellett,
Close, but no cigar. It is a red shouldered hawk. We have some red tailed ones too, but this is a red shouldered hawk. We see it often and hear it a lot too. They love squirrels. That is why the squirrel was crying and barking.

3:20 AM

 
Blogger LadyKimberly said...

We get a lot of Hawks up here, too. That is a beautiful set of photos, Dave! One time, we had birds disappearing out of our feeder. After a while, we discovered the cause...a sparrow hawk! The only reason we ever discovered it, was that it went after a bird and continued to sail on into our front door, a big sliding glass door with (thankfully!) reinforced glass. The bird broke his neck, but was in otherwise perfect condition.

We presented the bird to a local Native Odawa, so the feathers could be used in his crafts and artwork. I asked the local college first, but they already had the species.

I was glad my feeder was no longer a snack tray, but they are beautiful birds, nonetheless.

PS I am amazed at the variety and sizes of all of the hawks and falcons.

1:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home