Saturday, June 10, 2006

DING DONG DELL


DING DONG DELL

Raising my right hand and swearing to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth (right Chief)¸ I relate my recent dealings with Dell.

When I arrived in the campground in Connecticut this year I discovered that the cable company, Adelphia, had upgraded the service to allow high-speed internet. As I had heard that Adelphia was being bought out by Comcast and I have Comcast high-speed at home in Florida, the plan was underway. I would get high-speed cable internet and a new computer for the camper.

I looked the available and affordable computers over and decided to order a Dell Dimension E310. Two large boxes arrived at the campground office and Shirley loaded them into the van and brought them to the camper. Setup was easy and I soon had things clicking away.

After a few hours of operation “The Blue Screen” appeared with a message that some files in the OS were corrupt. Of course Dell does not ship any system CDs with their systems. Cheaper. I called Dell Technical support and practiced my foreign language skills with a Techie in the PI. After a series of diagnostics and a few hours on the telephone he set the wheels to turning to send me a package of CDs for reinstallation of the OS.

The CDs arrived promptly and armed with my case number, service tag, extended service code, telephone number, customer number and the previously mentioned foreign language skills, I called Dell Technical Services. After a long time on the phone and many tries it was determined that the HD was bad. Believe that?

Dell sent a local service technician armed with a new HD. A few hours later it was decided that I could get a refund or replace the computer. I decided to replace it. Back to Dell with all the numbers and after a long discussion, where they wanted to try another HD, they said they would send a replacement computer with return instructions and paperwork for the return of the defunct machine.

“Seven to ten days and you should have your replacement computer Dave.”

I checked “My Account” at Dell.com and sure enough the order had been placed and delivery estimated. Two days later a new computer arrived with no return instructions and no paperwork.

I again checked “My Account” at Dell.com and found no mention of the new computer being ordered or shipped.

By this time I had given up on my foreign language skills and decided to communicate by the Dell chat system. No accents and a written record of the communications. I brought up the chat system and was told to expect the new computer in seven to ten days. I asked what they wanted me to do with the one that came today. HUH? You have a replacement computer? Yep! “I have no record of an order or shipment of a computer to you, sir.” Well, I have one and no paperwork to send the dead body back to you.

I then told them not to send the one scheduled for seven to ten days and to get me the return paperwork. It remains to be seen what will happen. The new computer works – so far.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Dave, sending from my camper in East Haddam, Connecticut

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home